![]() |
| Our Team |
Great question without an easy answer. Perspective, I guess. I have been on a great journey the last few years. We have downsized our lives by over half, but we are still extremely rich and comfortable. My kids go to a great school....they have lots of shoes and can refuse the food they don't like because there is always more. Clean and functional bathrooms are plentiful. I can safely drink the water. A grocery store is always five minutes. I can go on and on.
So why can't we be content? Perhaps it is just the American way. We always want more. At times I feel we are a thankless society...whereas we should be thankful if we are truly living by the fruit of the spirit. I think God is using experiences like these to get my attention. Confession time: I have a lot to be thankful for and I have too many wants. That is pretty easy to see. The Bible says it is easier for a camel to walk through the eye of a needle than to go to heaven. That is a tough piece of scripture to get your head wrapped around. Frankly, as Americans, we usually skip over verses like that. It is easier to avoid it. I am sure I will continue to process through this trip for the days, months, and potentially years ahead. I know that I have been given much and much is expected of me by my Lord and Savior. I know I can do more to help the poor of the world through my finances, my time, my prayers, and my words. I pray that I can be less selfish.
It also struck me that after 10 days in Africa I cannot recall a time when I heard an African complain. Perhaps it was the language barrier or maybe they wouldn't want to show that emotion to a mzungu (white man), but it didn't feel that way. Amidst their struggles they certainly had joy. They seemed thankful for what they had and were resourceful to fill the gaps for things they lacked. There is a lot to learn here for us as Americans. We love to critique and complain. It seems like a hobby for some. I pray that I can use this experience to change my own ways and maybe others.
Thank you for reading and for your prayers and support. I know God will use this experience in amazing ways. I've tried my best to capture the experience, but it is a lot to unpack and articulate.
In Christ,
Trevor
Trevor

0 comments:
Post a Comment