Monday, March 5, 2012

Tanzania Day 7




Today was all about work.  We started before 7 and finished at 5.  First, we put up the tresses that were built last week.  No crane needed.  Just need twenty men, two ropes, a bunch of poles, and no OSHA.  :o)  It was amazing to watch the balance and skill of the Tanzanian workers.  One crane would have cut the job by 80%, but you work with what you have.  Besides that we pounded out a few hundred bricks.  Looking forward to more brick lifting tomorrow as we finish the walls and start a new fence.

We continue to get to know the workers and even the children in the neighborhood.  For something different today I tried to teach them a little basketball.  As good as these kids are with their feet, they haven't worked on their jump shot.  On a break we also played games with a bunch of school kids.  Those are certainly the highlights.

Don't know if I'm losing weight, but my clothes feel a little looser.  This is certainly the most manual labor I have done in consecutive days.  I'm actually enjoying the workout given our fitness/wellness challenge at work.  Hopefully it gives me an advantage!

Not much more to report today.  The building is coming along.  We are making great progress and we hope the Tanzanians will be able to use the building when we are complete.

Blessings from Africa,

Trevor

0 comments: