Monday, August 6, 2012

Issa's Visit

If you look closely you can see me in full sprint mode right after I passed the 1st guy and determined to catch this older guy ahead of me...

Ouch I pulled my hamstring

Racers

Trace right after he found out he was going to get a medal

Kianna running

Kaylee running hard

Girls' Summer Running Club

Our good friends, The Issa's, came to visit us this weekend. They like to come for Community Celebration Day at The Centre. On Saturday morning, the kids all had their races. Kianna and Trace ran the 1/2 mile race. Kianna made it the whole way without stopping or complaining, which made us proud. Trace on the other hand decided he didn't want to run right after he started. We teach our kids to finish what they start, so he did make it around eventually, even it meant being carried across the finish line. Thomas, Kaylee, and Gabriel all ran the mile race this year and did a great job. Thomas got 1st place, Gabriel got 4th place and Kaylee made it the whole way without stopping and ended up getting 11th out of quite a few kids. We were proud of all the kids. They all received medals, which made Trace pretty happy. Unfortunately, Jonathan broke his arm a couple days before coming to MI, so he wasn't able to run this year.

I ran the 5k for the first time and ran it in 27:26. Apparently, I am a little too competitive for my own good, as I ended up injured. I decided to sprint the last 500' and try to catch the middle aged man about 30' ahead of me. After catching him, I decided to try for the older gentleman about 30' ahead of him. I did catch him right at the finish line and that is when I felt a "pop". My leg gave out right at the finish line and I almost took the older man out as I was trying not to fall. I'm sure it was quite the scene. I'm a little embarrassed by just how competitive I am and yet I know that I would do the same thing next year given the chance. I spent the rest of the day in a significant amount of pain with an extremely sore hamstring. In fact, it hurt so bad that I missed the rest of the days events. I felt bad having to miss out on time with our friends, but knew it was necessary.

Everyone else spent the rest of the day getting faces painted, jumping in bouncy houses, swimming, and attending the evening's festivities of "Minute to Win It" games. Unfortunately, the concert and fireworks ended up getting rained out. On Sunday, the adults hired a sitter and had an evening out. We went to the new Batman movie and out for a nice dinner. It was another good weekend with friends!

0 comments: